The question isn’t whether to promote your YouTube channel on Instagram, the question is how best to promote your YouTube channel on Instagram.
Instagram boasts over 2 billion monthly active users, making it one of the most popular and effective platforms for business promotion.
Plus users spend an average of 11.7 hours a month on the platform, meaning there’s a good chance you can reach an active, engaged audience, drive them to your YouTube channel, and turn them into subscribers if you’re smart about how you promote YouTube on Instagram.
In this article, we’ll show you how to promote a YouTube channel on Instagram with seven practical tips.
7 Tips for Promoting Your YouTube Videos on Instagram
- Manage your Instagram and YouTube profiles
- Share teaser videos and photos on Instagram
- Share behind-the-scenes content
- Attract attention by using Instagram Stories
- Engage with your followers
- Get started with Analytics
- Make use of Instagram Reels
1. Manage your Instagram and YouTube profiles
If you plan to do serious Instagram marketing, your Instagram profile must look great. Users will check out your profile before heading to your YouTube channel, so it should be well-optimized and full of useful information.
- Avoid using dots or periods in your Instagram name. A simple and catchy username is easier for people to remember and search for later.
- Your bio is a powerful tool that lets people know what you’re all about. Keep it concise yet informative, using keywords to give visitors a quick glimpse of your purpose.
- Use a clear and recognizable profile picture. It could be your brand logo, a professional headshot, or something representing your content theme.
- Organize your best Stories into Highlights, featuring key aspects of your content or brand. It’s a great way to showcase your top content to visitors.
- Use the YouTube channel link in your bio effectively. Consider using link shorteners or link tree services to share multiple links if needed, directing users to your website, YouTube channel, or other important destinations.
- Use hashtags in the bio. If you’ve got the right hashtags to represent your YouTube business, they should be included in your Instagram bio, too.
Here’s an example of Vic Berger’s (video creator) profile to demonstrate the points made above — a simple username, a clear profile picture, highlights sections, and a YouTube link to his channel.
The next stop is your YouTube profile. The YouTube profile of Vic Berger is also great to share here. The copy is simple and easy to follow.
So, you’ll need attractive and optimized YouTube and Instagram profiles to kickstart your promotion. After all, you want to showcase your expertise and valuable content that entices people to explore further.
2. Share teaser videos and photos on Instagram
If you’re into YouTube, you’ll know how important it is to share teasers regarding your upcoming videos and get folks pumped up. Instagram is the perfect place for that! Whether it’s a product launch or an event video, make a quick teaser and share it with your followers.
“The overwhelming majority of Instagram users are located outside of the United States,” says Erasto Kaseja, the head of international marketing research at PickWriters. “So it’s only natural that you should try to use the language of your followers once in a while to engage them.”
Producing content in various languages is especially common for YouTubers who go on tour, like Conan O’Brien.
3. Share behind-the-scenes content
Another way of promoting YouTube video on Instagram is through behind-the-scenes footage. Behind-the-scenes content and bloopers are fantastic for catching the eye, creating curiosity and hype. In other words, a great way to promote YouTube channel on Instagram.
Many followers want to know how their favorite YouTubers make their epic videos and what goes on behind-the-scenes.
Here’s the behind-the-scenes footage as Luca Vannella, an international hair designer, shares the process of transforming Chris Hemsworth into the iconic character of Thor.
When shooting behind-the-scenes content, we recommend you include the following tips. First, try to plan ahead. Before shooting, create a rough outline of what you want to capture. Identify key moments, interesting interactions, or essential equipment setups.
Second, it’s always a good idea to be unobtrusive. By that, we mean while capturing behind-the-scenes clips, try to blend into the background as much as possible. Don’t disrupt the natural flow of the process or distract the main subject.
4. Attract attention by using Instagram Stories
Did you know that a whopping 86.6% of Instagram users post stories every single day? This stat is a gold mine for users or businesses looking to attract more subscribers and views to their YouTube channel using Instagram Stories.
Here are 10 ideas on how to use Instagram Stories for the promotion of your YouTube channel:
- “Swipe Up” link: If you have access to the “Swipe Up” feature (usually available for verified accounts with 10K+ followers), use it to direct viewers straight to your latest YouTube video or channel.
- Shoutouts: Give shoutouts to other YouTube channels or creators you love. They might return the favor, and you’ll both gain new audiences.
- Countdown teasers: Build anticipation by starting a countdown to the release of your upcoming YouTube video. It will keep your followers excited and eager for the big reveal.
- Behind-the-scenes: Take your followers behind the scenes of your YouTube video creation process. Show snippets of filming or funny bloopers to create a sense of connection with your audience.
- Tease a series: If you have a series of videos on your YouTube channel, tease the next episode on your Instagram Stories. Keep your audience hooked and eagerly waiting for the next installment.
- Highlight reels: Create themed highlight reels of your best YouTube videos. This way, new visitors can quickly see your top content and get hooked.
- Polls and quizzes: Use interactive polls and quizzes in your Stories to engage your audience. You can ask for their opinions on video topics, YouTube series, or even something unrelated to your channel.
- Tagging: Boost your YouTube channel’s visibility by teaming up with fellow Instagram influencers or other content creators. Tag accounts in your Instagram Stories while promoting your videos.
- Flash sales or promotions: If you’re selling merchandise or offering special promotions related to your YouTube channel, promote them on your Instagram Stories with a sense of urgency. Use phrases like “Limited Time Offer” to encourage quick action.
- Contests and giveaways: Boost your YouTube channel’s promotion by hosting contests and giveaways. Then, maximize your reach by promoting content through Instagram Stories.
Cristine Rotenberg, a well-known YouTuber who runs a channel called Simply Nailogical, often uses stories to promote upcoming videos. For example, here’s one hilarious story where she shares the news of her new video.
5. Engage with your followers on Instagram
When promoting your YouTube channel on Instagram, remember it’s not a one-way gig. The key is to get interactive and build genuine connections with your audience.
Interacting means more than just dropping a simple “Thank you” in response to comments. While appreciation is key, take it up a notch — dive into their questions, ask them what kind of content they’re craving, and recommend other exciting videos.
You won’t believe how just one comment can boost content engagement. Keith Habersberger, a well-known YouTuber, rocks at responding to his followers’ comments. Check out the one below
If you want more followers and want to keep them engaged, show some love to your fans. Take a moment to reply to comments and let your followers know you appreciate their feedback.
6. Get started with Analytics
Promotions are great. But if you just promote without keeping an eye on how your Instagram marketing is doing, you’ll never really know if it’s doing any good for you.
You must measure the performance to see if all that effort is paying off. For example, check out the difference in views before and after an Instagram promotion to see if it’s actually bringing in more traffic.
While YouTube Analytics comes with some basic functionalities, other, more advanced tools can take your insights to the next level.
One of the best ways to access video viewing stats is with TubeBuddy, a free plugin that provides Channel Analytics. With TubeBuddy, you can gather more valuable information to better understand your audience and improve your content.
Using this Chrome extension, you can check performance stats, see analytics, and compare your channel’s popularity with competitors. Being able to compare your channel’s popularity with competitors helps you gauge your standing in the market and understand what strategies might be working for others.
So, with this data-driven approach, you can make more informed decisions on your YouTube content strategy, optimize your videos, and grow your subscription base more effectively.
7. Make use of Instagram Reels
Instagram Reels can also be a fantastic way to promote your YouTube channel and get more visibility.
Every day, Instagram users collectively spend 17.6 million hours watching Reels. Now, imagine tapping into that amount of attention. By sharing your YouTube content related Reels, you can catch the attention of these Instagram users. It’s like a sneak peek or a mini-trailer for your YouTube videos.
Instagram Reels are designed to be engaging, stopping Instagram users in their tracks as they scroll through their feeds.
You can use Reels to provide teasers or sneak peeks of your YouTube videos, creating excitement and curiosity among viewers. Including a clear call-to-action in your Reels encourages viewers to visit your YouTube channel for the full video.
Share your Reels across different parts of your Instagram profile to reach a wider audience and encourage others to share them too. Reels often generate more interactions like comments, likes, and shares, fostering a supportive community.
Incorporating Reels into your Instagram strategy can be a fun and effective way to promote your YouTube content and expand your viewership.
Optimize Your YouTube Growth with TubeBuddy
Instagram is an excellent platform to promote and grow your YouTube channel. With the 2 billion monthly active users and 7 tips on sharing content discussed above, it’s time to up your marketing strategy.
You can use tools like TubeBuddy, a YouTube SEO management solution, to further your Youtube channel promotion game. With its powerful analytics, you can get insights into your video performance, audience demographics, trends, etc. This knowledge helps you tailor your content to your viewers’ preferences, ensuring maximum engagement, clicks, and reach. Sign up for TubeBuddy today to see how it can help you with your YouTube SEO and video promotion strategies.